This review, part of our Director Profile Series, focuses on the work of James Spione as well as his recent documentary film Incident in New Baghdad, winner of the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival “Best Documentary Short Award”. This powerful film highlights the on-the-ground experiences of U.S. Army Specialist Ethan McCord who witnessed first hand the incident later to be branded as the Collateral Murder incident by Wikileaks and Julian Assange.
In 2007 McCord found himself on-the-ground in Iraq, bearing “…witness to the devastating carnage, found and rescued the two children caught in the crossfire, and soon turned against the war that he had enthusiastically joined only months before.”
And now, in the capable and talented hands of Director James Spione and Morninglight Films this experience is shared globally. “An important film from an important American film maker. This is a must see. James Spione is a voice that needs to be heard on a large scale.”
James Spione’s “Incident in New Baghdad” (2011)
In 2010 Wikileaks released raw footage captured by the gun sight camera of a U.S. Army helicopter that stunned the world. The grainy video depicted the violent deaths of Iraqi civilians and two Reuters journalists. The recorded incident had occurred on the streets of Baghdad in 2007. The footage was released by Wikileaks under the name Collateral Murder Video. The startling footage captured an allegedly unprovoked attack on Iraqi civilians, mostly unarmed, by a U.S. Army Apache helicopter. Ethan McCord, a U.S. Army Specialist, can be seen in the footage running to a military vehicle with 10-year-old victim Sajad Mutashar in his arms, frantically seeking medical care for the severely injured child.
Incident in New Baghdad premiered at the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival in New York City where it won the prize for Best Short Documentary. In the film Ethan McCord recounts his first-hand experience of the horrific events of that day. The American infantrymen bore witness to the June 12, 2007 airstrike: the slaying of two Reuters journalist and a number of unarmed Iraqi civilians. McCord suffered for years from the trauma he experienced that day, and his guilt and anger over the war. When the raw footage was publicly released in 2010 McCord was triggered into action and began to travel the country sharing his story, speaking out for PTSD sufferers and against the American wars in the Middle East. It is a powerful and disturbing film. McCord’s brutally honest account as told by Spione is a film not to be missed.
Film Trailer | “Incident in New Baghdad” (2011) by James Spione
Interview with James Spione, Director of ”Incident in New Baghdad (2011)”
James Spione | Director Profile
James Spione is a graduate of the Film Directing program at SUNY Purchase known for his dramatic short films. He received a Student Academy Award for his 1987 thesis film, Prelude, about a boy’s solo voyage into the Adirondack Mountains. Spione wrote and directed several more dramatic shorts throughout the 1990s including Garden and The Playroom. Garden (1994), a dark and suspenseful short about a father’s homecoming, toured film festivals and received high praise from critics. The Playroom (1996) was featured on the pay-per-view program Reel Streets and as part of Independent Nights, an ongoing documentary showcase series hosted by the Walter Reed Theater. Spione’s next major work, American Farm, was released in 2005. American Farm is a feature-length documentary focusing on the century-long struggle of his mother’s family to maintain their farm in Richfield Springs, New York. The film premiered in Cooperstown, New York at the Fenimore Art Museum. The film toured regional theaters with Spione often hosting post-screening Q&A sessions. More recent projects by Spione include Our Island Home (2008) as well asInauguration (TBD) which is not yet released.
American Farm Documentary (2005) by James Spione (MorningLight Films)
Thank you for reading this Wikileaks-Movie.com profile and review on James Spione and his documentary film short on Collateral Murder Video and Ethan McCord titled Incident in New Baghdad. This review continues our tradition of highlighting relevant Wikileaks and Julian Assange news and events as well as the many movies, films, DVD, televised specials and documentary film projects about this important story. Additionally, make sure to check in with Wikileaks-Movie.com with our massive “Go To” resource archive for online videos, film clips, trailers on Wikileaks as well as Julian Assange, Bradley Manning, Birgitta Jonsdottir and others.
Similar Wikileaks Movie Articles
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW! Director James Spione – 2011 Tribeca Winner for Best Documentary Short “Incident in New Baghdad” – On Filmmaking and Ethan McCord “Witness to Collateral Murder” (97.3%)
- Wikileaks Documentary & Julian Assange Movie on DVD: “Modern Day Hero” & “Incident in New Baghdad” by James Spione (64.3%)
- Academy Selects James Spione Film “Incident in New Baghdad” for Documentary Short Subject Oscar Shortlist (61.6%)
- "Crowdsourcing" The WikiLeaks Film, Movie or Documentary? (25.9%)
- HBO Taps “Inside Job” Director Charles Ferguson for Wikileaks Movie & Film Biopic (7.1%)
- Alex Gibney — Universal Pictures Director Profile : Wikileaks-Movie.com Documentary Filmmaker Series (7.1%)
- Charles Ferguson — HBO Director Profile : Wikileaks-Movie.com Documentary Filmmaker Series (7.1%)
- Wikileaks Movie Profile: Marc Shmuger, Former Co-Chairman of Universal Pictures, is Co-Producing Wikileaks Film with Alex Gibney (7.1%)
- Wikileaks Movie: From Idea to Production Soon (4.5%)
- Alex Gibney to Produce the Julian Assange Documentary and Wikileaks Movie (4.5%)
- Wikileaks Movie Trailer Revolution Truth Spreading via Facebook and YouTube (4.5%)
- Wikileaks Movie Producer Alex Gibney Speaking to Raise Funds for Amherst Non-Profit (4.5%)
- Mark Boal — Screenwriter Profile “The Hurt Locker” : Writing for Two Wikileaks Movie and Osama Bin Laden Movie Projects (4.5%)
- Director Profile Series: Alex Gibney – “Taxi to the Dark Side” Academy Award Winner – Inquiry into Enhanced US Interrogation Practices by CIA (4.5%)
- Inspiring Artists Series: “Everything is a REMIX” by Kirby Ferguson — Covers Some of the Greatest Music & Films Ever Made (4.5%)