At least for the time being, the WikiLeaks financial and “banking blockade” has been busted. In what many have termed a clear case of financial censorship, major financial institutions and credit card companies such as PayPal, Visa and MasterCard have for months erected a donation blockade, preventing WikiLeaks supporters and donors from making even modest contributions to WikiLeaks and Julian Assange.
This blockade, WikiLeaks claims, has prevented millions of dollars in financial support from reaching the organization, which has a massive base of grassroots support and a large pool of potential donors. Angered and frustrated by this “banking blockade,” WikiLeaks has in recent days initiated a multi-pronged campaign to “shame” these corporations and threaten litigation in attempts to influence removal of the financial ban.
Censorship, like everything else in the West, has been privatized.
For six months now, five major US financial institutions, VISA, MasterCard, PayPal, Western Union and the Bank of America have tried to economically strangle WikiLeaks as a result of political pressure from Washington. The attack has blocked over 90% of the non-profit organization’s donations, costing some $15M in lost revenue.
Continued at: http://wikileaks.org/Banking-Blockade.html
Today, WikiLeaks’ payment processing partner DataCell announced that Visa, MasterCard and American Express contributions were once again possible. While this may only be a short-term example of breaking the “banking blockade” (these major companies have not indicated they have lifted the ban on their ends) financial donations are now able to be processed as reported by Andy Greenberg of Forbes:
Would-be WikiLeaks donors who’ve been waiting six months to make credit card contributions to their favorite secret-spilling group should seize the chance. In a move that may be a response to legal pressure from the group or may yet be a slip-up, Visa and MasterCard are again allowing payments to WikiLeaks through its Icelandic payment gateway DataCell.
“The WikiCard” by Michael Parenti, aka @exiledsurfer
“Thank You” to Wikileaks-Movie.com Supporters and Fans
Thank you for your interest in this post on the financial blockade on WikiLeaks by major financial institutions and credit card companies including Visa, MasterCard and PayPal. Also for the continued collaboration and support of our network of WikiArt partners including Michael Parenti, aka @exiledsurfer, @MerlinStreet and Dekade-Z. This post builds on our expanding library of “Edutaining” articles and interviews related to all things Wikileaks including recent pieces on James Spione’s “Incident in New Baghdad,”Greg Mitchell, The Ireland Cables, the PBS LulzSec Hack and Guantanamo Bay (Gitmo). It continues our tradition of highlighting relevant Wikileaks and Julian Assange news and events as well as the many movies, films, DVD, televised specials and documentary film projects about this important story. Additionally, make sure to check in with Wikileaks-Movie.com with our massive “Go To” resource archive for online videos, film clips, trailers on Wikileaks as well as Julian Assange, Bradley Manning, Birgitta Jonsdottir, Lulz Sec & Anonymous.
Similar Wikileaks Movie Articles
- Wikileaks “Hunton” Trip? Bank of America & Chamber of Commerce Proposals Targeting Wikileaks, Glenn Greenwald and others (37.1%)
- The WikiLeaks Fundraising & Donations Quest: From a VIP "Lunch with Assange" to "BitCoin Virtual Currency" (37.1%)
- Hillary Clinton Comments Spark LGBT & Drag Queen Action on Bradley Manning – Plus “Hillary-ous Gender Bending” REMIX ART (19.8%)
- LulzSec Brings Down CIA Website – Creates “Call-In Line To Take Hacking Requests” – Plus “The Lulz Boat” Art Remixes (19.2%)
- Artists “Leaking” Visions Series – EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with “Wikileaks Inspired” Artist Dekade-Z of “Courage is Contagious” and Juice Media RapNews Fame (14.6%)
- The @ExiledSurfer’s INTERVIEW with James Ball “Ex-WikiLeaks Member” (14.6%)
- “On Censorship, Art and WikiLeaks” by Meltem Arikan (14.6%)
- A Situation of Parenti Control? Has WikiLeaks Inspired Artist @ExiledSurfer Been Censored, Blocked on US Government Networks? (14.6%)
- "Crowdsourcing" The WikiLeaks Film, Movie or Documentary? (14%)
- Imagining New Oliver Stone Movies – “Born on the 3rd of July” and “The Patriot” – Remix Art on 40th Birthday of Julian Assange (14%)
- Wikileaks-Movie.com Contributing Artist, Michael Parenti, Joins BBC & Guardian News Panel Discussion Titled “Wikileaks, Behind the News” – The Story Behind the Story (11.6%)
- Twitter Wikileaks Case Matters, but PornWikiLeaks and Assange Dance Video Spark Interest (8.2%)
- Swiss police arrest former banker Rudolf Elmer for giving data to WikiLeaks (7.9%)
- Wikileaks To Disclose U.S. Tax Cheats — IRS Wants to Know (7.9%)
- Banker Hands Over Docs to Wikileaks & Lands in Jail (7.9%)